Saturday, November 10, 2007

Week 7: Integrated Arts Process

Temenos: An Expressive Arts Journal is the integration of the last 7 weeks and the continuation. Blogging is a new modality of expression for me, a relatively new modality for the art world as well. Working on the internet is an inherently intermodal arts process, combining music and sound, visual image, language and video in an original way. In order to display my music process, for instance, I needed to create a video - a form of artistic process not explored in class but one that speaks to me very personally. To display my photography and drawings, I had the opportunity to further manipulate the image and pair it with words.

I testify to the therapeutic dynamic of electronic arts processes. As a child of the 80's and the daughter of a programmer, computers have been a steady tool in my life since I was six years old. While I am far from a tech whiz, there is a comfort with the electronic medium that I share with others of the MTV generation. Making a video or appending a quote to my email signature gives me a voice. Though I make sure I avoid importing my entire social life into the virtual realm and I have a distaste for those who live almost entirely behind their screens, it is hard to deny the power of this medium.

No comments: