Friday, November 9, 2007

Week 2: Visual Arts Exploration

Group 1


Group 2


Everyday Objects


I walked through my apartment, pointing my camera at the things I looked at the most in a single day.

The objects in Group 1 caught my eye as having most artistic potential. They could be manipulated, made pretty. They give me a sense of beauty and peace when I look at these photos. They are the classic example of elevating daily objects into art.

In contrast, I left the settings in Group 2 as I found them, as I see them everyday. These photos make me feel anxious. There is too much going on; these photos are, in full color form, what my inside looks like. They are the intestines twisted in bright patterns, hidden in the drawer of my belly, never quite closed. They are the sick blue glow of my computer screen that I can't tear my eyes away from. They are the socks that don't stay organized and the shelf crammed full of products I always seem to forget when I travel. (They are even my Temenos drying on newspaper.) It is hectic and smothering to look at this group and yet I interact with them it every day. That is my life.

No comments: