Saturday, November 10, 2007

Week 6: Drama-based Process

Life Situation:

I chose to replay an interaction with one of my oldest friends, one that was a brief and microcosmic representation of a dynamic with which I have been dissatisfied. It had to do with feeling hurt during the times that my friend's cynicism leaked into areas where I was hoping for support. In this case, I had felt disappointed at her lack of enthusiasm for a feature film I shot two years ago that was finally in theaters this season. In a dyad, my partner and I played the scene as it was, then replayed it where I found a way to voice my feelings to her in a more straightforward way than I did in real life. Lastly, we switched roles and I played my friend.

Reflections:

Nothing changed much in terms of interpersonal dynamics with this friend and I. Because I have known her for so long, I already guessed that a direct style of "processing" would be too confrontational and "therapist-y" for her. Switching roles confirmed this for me as I was able to feel in an embodied, first-hand way how embarrassing it truly was to be confronted by a friend. In her place, I felt tongue-tied and unable to make eye contact. Due to lack of time, we were not able to play out a transformed version of the scenario, so I did not feel any shift in dynamics. What I did take away was just a more experiential account of being in her shoes and affirmation that my approach to try and respect where she is currently is a valid consideration to maintain.

No comments: