Friday, November 9, 2007

Week 4: Imaginal Language Arts




I am the woman in the blue
part of the postcard
deep in the sea
I am in the shadow
of your me
but my frozen image
needs
to be thawed
so I can be breathe

- Sophia C.










Reaction

I originally saw the image upside down, reflecting the issues most salient in my psyche at the time: themes of being locked, of being imprisoned at the bottom of the sea and feeling suffocated. The image grabbed me and terrified me through its resonance with my deepest fears. The words in my poem that stand out to me are:

"blue"
"shadow"
"frozen"
"thawed"
"breathe"

I appreciate that the words progress the poem from a description of a frozen state into a guidepost for my needs and how to break out of the locked state. Movement is the process and the goal, and the poem itself is a movement.

No comments: